• yesterday
Myanmar military limiting aid in earthquake areas, UN says

Myanmar's military is limiting critically needed humanitarian aid for earthquake victims in areas where it sees opposition to its rule, the United Nations human rights office said on April 4, 2025. The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights also said it was investigating 53 reported attacks by the junta against its opponents since the earthquake struck on March 28, including air strikes, of which 16 came after a ceasefire on April 2. The government on state-run MRTV late on April 2 announced a 20-day unilateral ceasefire effective immediately to support post-quake rehabilitation, but warned it would "respond accordingly" if rebels launched attacks.

UNTV/REUTERS

Subscribe to The Manila Times Channel - https://tmt.ph/YTSubscribe
Visit our website at https://www.manilatimes.net
Follow us:
Facebook - https://tmt.ph/facebook
Instagram - https://tmt.ph/instagram
Twitter - https://tmt.ph/twitter
DailyMotion - https://tmt.ph/dailymotion

Subscribe to our Digital Edition - https://tmt.ph/digital

Check out our Podcasts:
Spotify - https://tmt.ph/spotify
Apple Podcasts - https://tmt.ph/applepodcasts
Amazon Music - https://tmt.ph/amazonmusic
Deezer: https://tmt.ph/deezer
Stitcher: https://tmt.ph/stitcher
Tune In: https://tmt.ph/tunein
Soundcloud: https://tmt.ph/soundcloud

#TheManilaTimes
#tmtnews
#myanmar
#earthquake
Transcript
00:00In the days following the deadly earthquake that tore through central Myanmar last week,
00:04the Myanmar military continued operations and attacks, including airstrikes, some of
00:09which were launched shortly after the tremors subsided.
00:14Our office has received reports that the military has carried out at least 53 attacks, including
00:18strikes by aircrafts and drones, artillery and paramotors, in areas affected by the earthquake.
00:25At least 14 attacks by the military have been reported since they announced a temporary
00:29ceasefire, which was due to take effect on the 2nd of April.
00:33This is something that we've been extremely concerned about for a very long time because
00:38this is part of a strategy that is used by the military to prevent aid getting to populations
00:44that it views as not supporting its seizure of power back in 2021.
00:51And so there has been a very active effort not just to restrict where humanitarians can
00:56go, but particularly to prevent them from delivering aid in conflict-affected areas.
01:02In Myanmar, the actions of the military are compounding the dire humanitarian situation
01:07in the aftermath of the deadly earthquake.
01:10UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk stresses that the announcement of a pause
01:14in hostilities by both the Myanmar military and the National Unity Government must be
01:19followed by immediate and unrestricted access by rescue and humanitarian workers to all
01:25those in need.
01:27We urge a halt to all military operations and for the focus to be on assisting those
01:31impacted by the quake.
01:33We hope this terrible tragedy can be a turning point for the country towards an inclusive
01:37political solution.
01:39Our office has also received reports that the military has continued its conscription
01:43drive, forcibly recruiting able-bodied young people assisting the rescue efforts.
01:50While humanitarian efforts have progressed in certain areas where access has been granted,
01:54the long-standing limitations imposed by the military on humanitarian operations and access
01:59across the country have meant that numerous badly impacted areas, including large towns
02:05in Sagaing region and in areas of Bago and Shan State, have remained inaccessible to
02:10humanitarian emergency assistance.

Recommended